PPMD wants to make sure that families within our Duchenne community are equipped with as many tools as possible to ensure a smooth start to the school year. Because it’s hard enough just to figure out the secret code to get through the front entrance, let alone to have to navigate considerations around IEPs (individualized education programs), accessibility, and what information to provide to whom about your child’s medical care. So, consider this your Back-To-School Survival Kit (at least related to Duchenne).
Information for Teachers
To better assist parents and teachers in providing a quality education for the student with Duchenne, PPMD has created Education Matters Guides specifically for teachers and physical education teachers. The guides cover everything from the basics of Duchenne and its progression to specific classroom accommodations organized by age group.
- Education Matters: A Parent’s Guide (download)
- Education Matters: A Teacher’s Guide (download)
- Education Matters: Adaptive PE (download) (written specifically for the physical education teacher)
- Education Matters: Learning and Behavior in Duchenne (download)(written by James T. Poysky, PhD)
All are available above as PDF downloads, or you can contact us to request a hard copy.
We also recommend that teachers familiarize themselves with learning and behavior issues children with Duchenne may exhibit.
Download our ‘Classroom Activities for Understanding Duchenne‘ packet to view age-appropriate classroom exercises that can be done either by parents or teachers to educate students about Duchenne and some of the challenges your child faces on a daily basis. They are easy and can be done in one class period or as part of a larger group gathering, such as an assembly. Involve your child as much as he/she is comfortable and in a way that reflects how you discuss Duchenne at home.
BrainPop Animated Video
PPMD also has age-appropriate downloadable books available to help children learn about Duchenne:
- DMD and Me: A Popping Wheelies Picture Book (download)
- Welcome To My Street: A Popping Wheelies Picture Book (download)
- What Did You Do Today: A Popping Wheelies Picture Book (download)
- Additional books by Sue Nuenke celebrating diversity are available at PoppingWheelies.net